Pocket Carrying? Pocket Holster It.
If you’re going to carry in your leather jacket or vest, make sure the trigger guard is protected with a pocket holster. It’s not a big thing but if you do end up having to shove your hand in there to dig out your trusty everyday carry, it’s just one more guarantee your finger just jam into the trigger well unintentionally.
- PROS: Easily accessible and convenient.
- CONS: Usually limited to sub-compacts.
Shoulder Holster Carry
Shoulder holsters are certainly a good idea in terms of keeping a pistol clear and above the waistline. Not everyone can carry a handgun conveniently in the waistline while riding. For others, there’s serious concerns about the handgun slipping out while going over especially bumpy roads. Shoulder holster definitely makes sense for these cases.
Shoulder holsters that flag the vehicle behind you are not necessary. It’s quite possible to get a shoulder holster that keeps the firearm canted relatively perpendicular to the ground beneath you.
- PROS: Easily accessible. Not stored in the waistband.
- CONS: Have to unzip jacket.
Kangaroo Carry (Around The Torso) Or Similar
Kangaroo Carry is a great way to go if you’re wearing it beneath a motorcycle jacket. The only issue you could get yourself into is potentially with multiple warming layers covering the handgun.
- PROS: If worn between inner layers and motorcycle jacket, not a bad way to go.
- CONS: Can take some practice to get used to drawing it from beneath a motorcycle jacket.
Inside The Waistband Concealed Carry
Plenty of motorcyclists are able to keep a handgun on them inside the waistband. Definitely use a holster with high retention or a back-clasp. You may have to get used to re-positioning the holster to a 3-5 o’clock position in order to stay comfortable while crouched forward on the bike.
- PROS: Convenient.
- CONS: Spotting is especially likely if you’re wearing a short jacket that rides up and exposes your waistband to passing motorists. May be uncomfortable if your normal carry style is appendix IWB or similar.