A murder-suicide in California has left two people dead, and two others in critical condition. While there is no apparent danger now, they authorities are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of students and staff.
All students removed from the campus, taken to Cajon High School.
— Chief Jarrod Burguan (@SBPDChief) April 10, 2017
The school is reportedly “very secure” and even has a gate to get in. One parent was surprised that someone with a gun was able to get through the gate and onto the school grounds. This just goes to show that school staff should be permitted to conceal carry. Criminals, with intent to harm, will get creative and do whatever it takes to get into gun-free zones, with their weapons.
That teacher may very well have lived to tell the tale if a gun had been within reach.
Fox News reports:
The school has about 600 students in kindergarten through sixth grades.
Marina Ramos told news station KABC-TV that she rushed to the school to try to pick up her grandson after she heard about the shooting. She said she spoke to him, and he told her he was safe but was upset.
“He was crying. He’s scared,” she said. “It was a typical morning and then chaos broke out.”
Federal law enforcement sources told Fox News that the San Bernardino Police Department is the lead agency responding to and investigating the shooting. The ATF’s Los Angeles division has also lent assets to San Bernardino police and the FBI has offered its assistance, the sources added.
The area is known for high rates of violence and homicides. Maybe this will open the eyes of legislators there and open doors for staff to carry.