Please disable your Ad Blocker to better interact with this website.

Order KEEP AND BEAR: THE MOVIE now for FREE shipping and a FREE bumper sticker!

Wow, what an absolute horror story! Could you imagine minding your own business, and stopping for a quick snack, while you refuel your car and ending up paralyzed?? That’s what happened to a mother of three in California. She ate a bag of Doritos drizzled with nacho cheese, a harmless enough snack, and is now partially paralyzed in the hospital.

Why is this?? It has been confirmed that the food she ate contained botulism. Botulism is a form of food poisoning caused by the bacteria ‘botulinum’. It grows on canned meats that have not been properly sterilized, and other preserved foods.

Newser reports:

Lavinia Kelly went from being a busy, happy mother of three to a partially paralyzed hospital patient after putting nacho cheese on her Doritos at a gas station, family members say. The Sacramento resident, who turned 33 on Wednesday, is one of at least five confirmed cases of botulism involving people who had eaten at Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove, with another four probable or suspected cases, the Sacramento Bee reports. All nine are still being treated at area hospitals. According to a lawsuit filed this week, Kelly, who became ill within hours of eating the cheese on April 21, remains in the hospital in intensive care, unable to speak or even open her eyes on her own, Food Safety News reports.

Relatives say Kelly’s symptoms started with fatigue and progressed to double vision, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. “We just don’t understand why this happened over a bag of chips and nacho cheese,” partner Ricky Torres tells the Bee. “Really? How does that happen?” Bruce Clark, an attorney specializing in food safety cases, is handling the family’s negligence lawsuit. He says “only human mistakes create the environment for botulinum
toxin to form,” and those mistakes are thankfully rare: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s most recent botulism report, only 15 of the 161 US botulism cases in 2014 were food-borne. (This woman ended up paralyzed after a trip to a city park.)

Be careful with what you eat! Even a harmless seeming snack can have monumental effects.

Become an Insider!

Enter your email address below to stay in the loop and read our latest and greatest updates!

Send this to a friend