A police investigation is now open after an 11-year-old girl was electrocuted in New Jersey while swimming with her friends in a lagoon.
— Fox5NY (@fox5ny) June 19, 2017
Under the watch of to adults, Kayla Matos and her friends were swimming and playing on an inflatable raft. According to WCBS’ report, two of the girls touched a metal boat lift and that’s what sent the electric current through the equipment. Matos’ injuries were fatal but the other two girls were evaluated and released without injury.
Toms River police and EMS arrived and continued CPR, used a defibrillator and rushed the girl to Community Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, the Daily News reported.
Some neighbors aren’t surprised and are guessing what may have caused the incident. “A lot of wires are hanging since (Superstorm) Sandy,” Annemarie Brooksbank, a neighbor, said, “and some people don’t think about what they need to repair.”
The incident is still under investigation by Toms River Police Department, the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, and the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department.
Someone created a GoFundMe page in order to raise money for Matos’ family during this difficult time. It has already raised over $7,000 of its $10,000 goal.
The page gave a short message that says:
“A very sweet, angelic girl Kayla Matos was taken from us way too soon. She was, and continues to be, extremely loved by her family, friends, and school. She touched lives of so many.
“No farewell words were spoken, no time to say goodbye, you were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why.”
Please help us raise money for her family as we all grieve during this painful time. Any donation is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your blessings.”